GOI and MCI permits admission of 100 students for MBBS Course 2016-17 batch.
The ESIC Medical College & PGIMSR, Ashok Pillar Road, KK Nagar, Chennai-600078, is situated in a campus of nearly 20 acres in the heart of the city of Chennai. This institution has been permitted by the Medical Council of India to start the UG course with 100 students intake from 2013 session (Ref No. MCI-34 (41)E-29/2013-Med/20271 dated 10.07.2013. The attached hospital has been functioning since 1971 and is fully functional with all the required departments, staff, labs, X-Ray facilities, etc.,. The hospital is a Postgraduate institution and permitted by the Medical Council of India to start PG course (11 seats) from 2011 onwards as under:
- MD General Medicine (1 seat) – Ref No. MCI-57(22)/2010-Med/79426 dated 24.03.2011
- MS General Surgery (2 seats) –Ref No. MCI-57(22)/2010-Med/79536 dated 24.03.2011
- MS Obstetrics & Gynaecology (4 seats) – Ref No. MCI-57(22)/2010-Med/66032 dated 12.02.2011
- MD Paediatrics (2 seats) – Ref No. MCI-57(22)/2010-Med/67363 dated 17.02.2011
- MD Anesthesia (2 seats) – Ref No. MCI-57(22)/2010-Med/82888 dated 31.03.2011
The institution was further permitted to increase seats (14 seats) as under from the session of 2013 as under:
- MD General Medicine (2 seat) – Ref No. MCI-57(22)/2012-Med/169510 dated 30.03.2013
- MS General Surgery (3 seats) – Ref No. MCI-57(22)/2011-Med/107718 dated 28.03.2013
- MS Obstetrics & Gynaecology (4 seats)
- MD Paediatrics (2 seats)
- MD Anesthesia (3 seats) – Ref No. MCI-57(22)/2012-Med/167422 dated 26.03.2013
The institution is affiliated to Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R Medical University, for both UG course (MBBS) as well as for all the PG courses. The Department of Anesthesia has been recognized by the Medical Council of India as the first candidate has successfully passed out in 2013.
Since the PG courses were started in 2011, the PGs all have successfully passed the Basic Sciences examination held at the end of first year (100% passed). Three batches have passed final year. Postgraduates from the institution have won several prices in various conferences held at city, state and national level and brought distinction to the institution. Many of the faculties have also received awards for their outstanding achievements.